Karla of Petite Chalet (home of super cute baby bibs and burp cloths - take a look and I know you'll agree) visited our third stop.
For our third stop on the Virtural Fabric Shop Hop, I visited Sew Special Quilts, and let me tell you, I think I’ve found my new favorite fabric store in San Antonio! From the moment I walked into the store I felt very welcomed. The staff was friendly, warm, and incredibly helpful. They are located at 5139 N. Loop 1604 West, Suite 110.
Sew Special Quilts is the perfect shop for quilters. They carry large amount of designer cotton fabric (perfect for quilting). Sew Special Quilts stock Michael Miller, Moda, and Riley Blake fabrics, just to name a few. Because they stock high quality fabrics, the prices are a bit higher than Joann’s, but they have a frequent buyers club program, that I think will help to make their prices more reasonable. The Frequent Buyers Club cost $20 a year, but you get 10% off your purchase every day, and on the 15th of each month you get 20% off of your purchase. I joined the frequent buyers club when I visited, and I ended up saving the $20 that I spent on joining, so it has completely paid for itself already.
Sample of fabric offered at Sew Special Quilts:
- Cotton Fabrics
- Quilters Cotton
- Moda Solids
- Small selection of Flannel
- Cotton Apparel Fabric
Sample of Sewing and Quilting Accessories at Sew Special Quilts:
- Quilting Books
- Machine accessories for Bernina and Baby Lock Machines
- Quilting Gloves
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting Mat
- Quilt patterns and other various patterns
- Precut fabricFat quartersJelly rollsCharm packsMini charm packsLayer cakesHoneycombMachines at Sew Special Quilts
- Baby Lock
- Embroidery machines
Classes at Sew Special Quilts
- Buy a Machine and you can attend free classes as many times as you wish, to learn your new machine.
- $5 quilt
- Registration is $10 and with an additional $5.00 charge at your first class.
- Meet once a month to collect your quilt kit and learn a new technique
- Bring your completed quilt block to class the following month, and receive the next month’s kit free.
- Class Starts in October and runs for 1 year.
- At completion of the class you will have enough quilt blocks to construct a quilt top.
- Various classes
- Serger Basics
- Silhouette Cameo Cutter
- Hand Applique
- Bag Lady
- Stitch ‘Till Midnight
- Visit their website for a schedule of classes available http://www.sewspecialsa.com/
How to get a deal at Sew Special Quilts
- Shop their sale and clearance items
- Join the Frequent Buyers Club
- Remember to shop on the 15th for 20% off your purchase
My Favorite Features of Sew Special Quilts
- Very helpful and experienced employees
- Current and modern fabric choices
- Designer fabrics
- I usually buy these fabrics online, but will be buying them from Sew Special Quilts using their Frequent Buyers Club.
- Variety of classes
Least Favorite Features of Sew Special Quilts
- Higher prices than Joann’s and Hobby Lobby
- Doesn’t have a variety of fabrics other than cotton fabrics
- They are only open until 6:00pm on Tuesday and Thursday, and 5:00 pm on Monday and Wednesday.